Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Conducting an Ed Tech Audit

I'm using several technologies in my classroom.  On any day, it is not uncommon for my students to be using a desktop, laptop, iPad, iTouch, digital camera and a FLIP video camera.  Each device serves a different purpose.  Along those lines, the capacity of one's project / product will determine what he / she uses. In the past, I have had students publishing on Storybird, Xtranormal, Animoto, Glogster, and Edmodo.  I've tried Stupeflix for the first time this year but ran into some issues of the website having inappropriate content, so I've pretty much ditched that. It has been cleaned up so maybe this spring we will try it again.  I like it because the kids have access to it whenever they want.   I've also dabbled into GoAnimate but it was all too soon that my group of 14 boys realized how to make their character do inappropriate things (ie. pass gas  belch, etc...) and so I haven't promoted much of it since.  We need some sort more maturity to occur before we can try it again.  
(Eagle live cam!

Something new that I am doing is a collaborative, online study with Alcoa on the Bald Eagles.  
There is a live Eagle webcam available for the kids to watch.  It is of Liberty and Justice (bald eagles).  They live in Iowa and have 2 eggs in their nest.  It is so incredible to watch – I encourage you to take a peep!  
Study groups have been made using Edmodo that will help us collaborate with the people in their research group.  
I am in hopes that with the help of our librarian, Karen Harrell, we will be producing our very own podcasts to share with the rest of second grade.  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I am going to spend too much time watching the eagle--but how cool is that? The kids must love it. So you are working your way through tools deciding which ones are best for you. I wonder though about your comments regarding Stupeflix--very interesting. This is a premium account and if it is inappropriate, we will need to reconsider before renewing.

Anonymous said...

So glad the bald eagles are working out! I hope y'all make some connections with others in the group! Wondering how those connections might spill over into other projects...

Your comment about maturity is a great one as we need to take the time to develop as learners! Sounds as though you know and understand your clients! :-)

I think back to the conversation your previous class had with the Arizona professor and now the connections with classrooms outside fo SBISD. What skills do you possess (or have developed) that you are able to see the opportunities in expanding your classroom walls? Why do you feel that is important for your students?

Theresa said...

@Sheri - Stupeflix resolved the issue per the request of the district. I just haven't reopened it up to the class because we have been working with other things.
@Karen - I just spoke to my friend at ASU and they are doing some incredible things... I will share them with you to share out to the other people who enjoy some "techy" science in their life.
I have learned a vast number of things - most importantly though is that my classroom literally has no walls. The sky is the limit and all you have to do now days is reach out and grab it!
Having hands on activities that incorporate "the experts" builds excitement, conversations, and the "want" to learn more! Thus, the learning becomes contagious!!!

Anonymous said...

I like that the tools you list all involve the student creating products, rather than consuming...that's awesome! Creating a network outside of your campus is also going to be a real plus for your students. I can tell you are taking the SAMR model to heart!