Sunday, September 29, 2013

First Week Debrief

My Co-Workers in My Classroom After-school!
We did it!  We had our first full week of a "Flipped" classroom.  I really wasn't sure what I was going to expect at first.  I had to put some sort of trust into the process - which looks and feels so differently than that of the traditional learning.
A few years ago - I changed the way I managed / ran my Language Arts block of time... So, knowing that placing all the trust into a process - was something I'd have to do knowing that research supports it!

So, Monday night's homework was to watch a video.  It wasn't that long - under  10 minutes for sure!  Some of my kids did not watch it.  When it came to math time, they went into the hallway and were given time to watch it before joining the class.  That helped me to take the kids that had watched it, through a practice session while I worked with the rest trying to get them caught up to speed.

I find it interesting to know that their excuses for not doing homework where:

  • I had soccer practice tonight!
  • I had football practice tonight!
  • I didn't know what you wanted me to do!
  • I couldn't watch the video on my computer!

Then, my answer to that was: "Oh!  I hear that you really enjoy playing _____!  Well, I want you to know that professional soccer / football players are educated.  So, maybe you need to prioritize your time better, knowing that you are going to have to work hard to play sports..." and then, "Let me help you with that computer situation... You are always welcome to come to class early to watch a video. Just let me know!"
The next night went better - at least with my class.  I had 2 kids that came in early for help - but that was from the week prior.  (This next week, I'll have them take a working lunch in order to help them get caught up.)
Everyday, kids are excused from the cafeteria at 7:45 and head towards our rooms.
In addition to all this, I've given my students some morning work (from the prior day) to help create a "snapshot" of who understands and who doesn't.  From a quick glance - I can really tell!  That is where I think about small groups.  I jot down antidotal records and input them into their Pensieve.  This process is AWESOME!  (The kids are really understanding  a lot - considering that there are SO many learning gaps.)  That will be used later on in parent / teacher conferences.
So, if anyone missed at least three of the practice problems, then they are to meet me at my table.  They are having to be honest with themselves - and with me!  That is the self-determined learning in action!
On some days - I do model again what it is that I'm asking the kids to do.  At least they are able to decipher if they are "on target" or not.
I then have them try a few with a partner!

Tomorrow, I am going to have a "Jam Session" with a colleague.  I plan / hope to post more about the other encounters that happened, such as:  loading the wrong video, video taping issues, upset teachers who are being asked to attend more training, upset parents, etc...
Stay tuned.... it is only going to get better!
Major thanks though - to my team!  They are all contributing and "going along" with this - maybe it is to humor me, or maybe its's a challenge - but I love them!  So glad we have taken the "Road Less Traveled!" We have bonded more this year, than any other!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for an honest account of your first efforts to flip. So many claim instant success....but we know better, right? I want to share something we learned in the FLN and it is straight from the horse's mouth--a good rule of thumb for videos is 1 minute per grade level. Think about how you can turn your 10 minute videos into a 2-3 min video.

Theresa said...

Sheri - we have been keeping that in thought and have reduced the amount of modeled problems. It is going to help a great deal as we "roll them out". I am definitely seeing lots of progress and you are right - it is an instant success for those watching!