Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Thing 4: 11.5 Things

What would be some advantages of having teaching/learning videos available on online at sites like these?
I use YouTube quite a bit to add that extra bit of information and to add a "hook" into the lesson so that it gains the interest of all! For instance, as I began to teach a lesson on counterweights with our Balance and Motion FOSS kit,I had the students watch the following clip:


We then discussed special words such as the point of balance, counterweights, etc.

On another occasion, my principal was very surprised to see clips from Tony Hawk as I introduced the Force of Motion systems (Wheel & Axel) for another lesson in our Balance and Motion FOSS kit. By already having it uploaded to my blog, it was easy for me to obtain and I could easily start and stop it without any other advertisements on the page.

What about student created work -- would there be advantages to having it uploaded?

There is definitely a benefit to uploading to YouTube. I used this primarily as a way to communicate with my parents this past year. I would record something with my FLIP camera and then export it out using the embedded files to showcase on my classroom blog. While some might worry about it being published to the web, I did not tag it and / or rename the movies in hopes to help keep the identity private.

http://www.trevinos2ndgrade.blogspot.com

Here is a clip that I made - my class was helping our "learning buddies" with food and nutrition and creating more of an awareness to eating healthy! I had used a camera with MP4 feature. By uploading it to YouTube, instead of uploading it directly from the digital camera, I saved lots of time!

3 comments:

RCELibrarian said...

like the VIDEO!
You should FLY through this..you've done most of it already....mostly with playnormous!Just keep linking with that!
Hope your summer is going GREAT...and you are spending time at the POOL witht the kids...

Theresa said...

Thanks Karen! I'm trying to keep them busy. Laurie has absolutely LOVED Girl Scout Camp this week and I'm thrilled! Next week we are taking a break (possibly - but I see where the Bridgepoint is offering VBS...) We shall see! How is your mom? Kat said she had a set back.. I'm keeping her in my prayers for a quick recovery!

Have you heard of any contests? The kids are really loving the iMac! Me too! And, did you know that coffee will burn up the keyboard? I learned that first hand! Wasn't too expensive to replace - but enough to really monitor everyone playing with drinks!

Have a great day!

Theresa said...

I just found your videos on Playnormous' Facebook Page.. Very cool!