Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Thing 5: 11.5 Things

Describe your experiences with Facebook and Twitter. Give suggestions as to how these resouces could aid students in and out of the classroom. Give ideas for using back-channeling at school.

Facebook has been a new way for me to reconnect with old friends. I started an account during the onset of the social networking and have watched it just about explode! I belong to many groups that help me keep up with the ongoing calendars of important things. I do have "friends" that are my students, so I am very careful what I post - keeping it clean for all ages! Some of the best features of FB, is when a student moves, you can still keep in touch! I have kids that are all over the world!

Twitter and myself are just becomming acquainted. I've dabbled with it in the Library 2 Play 23, but really didn't have much use for it. Maybe if I had more time on my hands, aside from being a single mom (M-F), it would be more for me. My problem is that I'm exhausted by 4 and what little energy I have left, I use cleaning or getting dinner on the table.

I just recently visited the SBISD twitter and it had some of the neatest information on it. I even found an article where I was mentioned! Very exciting!

Spring Branch Independent School District Teachers get active with Playnormous' iMacs http://cms.springbranchisd.com/SchoolZone/tabid/
6212/mid/13789/newsid13789/1387/Default.aspx

June 16 at 8:52am ·

Then, I found where my daughter's winning was announced:
HideSpring Branch Independent School District PTA Council Environmental Awards issued http://cms.springbranchisd.com/SchoolZone/
tabid/6212/mid/13789/newsid13789/1369/Default.aspx

June 3 at 1:51pm

So, I guess it is a cool place - just had not had the time to figure it out! I like that you can subscribe to different "tweets".

This is just a great way to let people know quickly (an overview) of what is going on... Great for PTA's & clubs!

2 comments:

RCELibrarian said...

That was a great article on Playnormous...I wish they had more computers to give away!

Theresa said...

Me too! Hey - let's just find another source! :)