Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Thing 6: 11.5 Things

Download some educational apps to an iTouch.
I have downloaded some neat apps to my personal iTouch. I am unable to do it for the ones that I have in my classroom - our librarian usually does that for us. Some of the ones that I personally have are more for younger children.
Hangman (Helps not only develop strategy skills, but also spelling and word patterns.)
Houston Zoo (Helps navigate when you are at the zoo, but also gives animal specifications. It also helps with the Map skills and reading a map with cardinal directions.)
Funny Flash (This one is neat because it morphs animals and then spells them out verbally and in print.)
Distant Suns (This app is very cool - you can use it to help identify the constellations.)
Math Drill (Addition & Subtraction - primary grades.)
Learn Chess (I haven't really figured this out but I want to learn.)
Poker Delux (Fun!)
Louvre (I had some of my GT students look at the art. Then, we also discussed the artist.)
NASA (I had some of my GT students look for intersting facts / details.)
SAT Words 5000 (I was in hopes my teenager would use this but I don't think she has even looked at it. Never the less, my GT students can learn new words.)
Science (This has a list of all the elements off the periodic table. I think it is cool to sometimes talk about them with my small research groups.)
Sight Words (My daughter enjoys reading and being quizzed on these.)
Tic Tac Toe (Just for fun! My kids especially LOVE playing this.)
The Weather Channel (Keep current with weather conditions anywhere. Goes well with our Air & Weather Unit.)
Words w/ Friends (More for me - I love playing my friends in a game of scrabble.)
UNO (Fun! Fun! Fun! Love playing UNO!)

Create a list of ways to use the iTouch in the Library by multiple students (that is different than an iTouch being assigned to students).

With the rockstar, sharing the iTouch is SO easy! I personally downloaded audiobooks and the kids listened to them. Also, the kids participate in a play and to have them be able to listen to the music, is wonderful. Especially since I do not have to hear it being played.
We have also used the iTouches in the library to research birds, & habitats. They are a hot commodity that usually is never idle!

1 comment:

RCELibrarian said...

I've been digging for more FREE aps...I even found another source for free audio books...we'll want more iTouches in the classroom...
Keep trekking!