Friday, June 10, 2011

Tool # 11 Self Assessing and Reflecting

1.  What are your favorite tools you now have in your personal technology toolbox? Briefly describe a I particular activity that you will plan for your students using at least one of these new tools.
I have so many different tools that it is hard to say which ones are my favorites!  I pick and pull all the time based on what the kids are into.  This next year, I'm planning to use more with "menus" so that the kids can have more in the decision process on their assessments!

2. How have you transformed your thinking about the learning that will take place in your classroom? How has your vision for your classroom changed? Are you going to need to make any changes to your classroom to accommodate the 21st Century learner?
No - not really!  I was pretty much doing everything before.  I will start to use more of the interactive websites that help track the student's progress to help differentiate for them.
3. Were there any unexpected outcomes from this program that surprised you?
 Backstory About Myself:
First of all, I'd like to state that I am proud to have only scored a 750 on my SAT's.  During my Junior year in high school, a counselor sat down with me and suggested that I should NEVER attend college because I didn't have what it took to graduate.  So, for 1 year after graduation, I kept a stack of letters from Universities - having never opened one of them because of the fear of being stupid!  During which time, I went ahead and took classes at HCC.  Then, one day, I came across that dreaded stack of letters as I was cleaning out my closet.  I opened them and didn't understand the "verbiage" that they were using... except for one.  Southwest Texas State University announced that I had been accepted into their school.  I remember running into the kitchen to tell my parents that "I was GOING to college"!  They stood there just looking at me like a "deer in the headlights" - just shocked!  August of that next year, I packed up my car and headed to San Marcos!   I finished my undergraduate degree at the University of Houston.  I came back home because I was homesick and my mother had caught me calling my dad everyday on a 800 line he had subscribed too.  Needless to say, I graduated from the University of Houston, Cum Laude and was on the dean's list for 9 semesters (including summer sessions) straight.  That was done while substituting during the day and waiting tables at night!  Who again said I wouldn't succeed?  Oh yea, a counselor from high school!  
After beginning my career, I decided that it might be time to go back to school and see what else I could do in life.  I enrolled in a Master's OnLine through Houston Baptist University.  The only way I got into the program, was through a "trial" study".  The study was based on achievement tests with regards to academic performance.  With that being said, I took the "Graduate Admission Test" and was accepted no matter what the score was.  For me, that was my "Win! Win!" moment.  I wasn't scared of failing something to keep me from trying!  I graduated 2 years later with only having 1 B(psychology) and 1 C(statics class) - all the rest were A's.  I am now proud to say that I have 250 accumulated (Undergrad & Grad) hours!  Had I listened to my High School Counselor, I never would have even tried - which was almost the case!  
I guess what I am trying to say, is, that Test don't show what a person is capable of or what he / she has learned!  I HATE them and try my hardest to keep that in mind when I am assessing the knowledge of my class.  I understand that they can guide instruction, but practical conversations and experience with someone can do the same!  
I took the 21st Century test and scored 85%.  I guess what surprises me is that I should have scored a 100% based on the information learned from Library to Play 23 Things, Library to Play 11.5 Things, and lastly, 11 Tools!  Really people?  If we are using a "portfolio" to keep a log of what we are learning, do we really need to spend an hour assessing?  What is the relevance?  What does this tell us?  It just all goes down to:  it's a quick check to see if we understand and let's just see if people can dissect those confusing questions and words that people use!  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a trip! I love your post. I'm right there with you going to San Marcus, coming home because I was homesick, graduating from U of H and then later getting my masters. I so agree with your views of testing. I have so many children that do so well in my class because I really focus on all the ways I can assess. Then they go to 3rd and Bam! we are right there facing that TAKS/STAAR! Not that those teachers are not good teachers, but in this "testing world" they have to prepare the kids. So sad. I'm glad you didn't listen to your counselor! I would love to Skype with your class and maybe we can do some technology sharing in google apps with our kids. I don't maybe they create a document or something based upon what we skype about, then share it with a buddy? Let's keep connected! Great job on your blog!

Theresa said...

@ Ms. E - I'd love to share some google docs with you! My "real" email is: Theresa.schwab-trevino@springbranchisd.com. My SKYPE handle is: Theresa Schwab Trevino.
Thanks for your insight. Let's get a plan in play - as this could easily be done in the beginning of school as we establish our "norms" / expectations!

Anonymous said...

As another one of your teachers suggested, the assessment isn't really in alignment with the content. I must admit, we added it mainly as a way for the beginning teacher to see they have moved forward and to get teachers into Atomic Learning - in hopes they may spend some time there and learn more. I appreciate your perspective! Thanks for sharing!

PS. Yes, you have to understand their "lingo" from their workshops in order to do really well on the assessment. I think an 85% is stellar! (for what that matters)

Theresa said...

Thanks Karen J.

I'm so bummed that I didn't win an iPad but happy for those that did! What a neat way to end Summer U! I had NO idea that yall were even going to do that either! :) Count me in for next summer!