Monday, June 6, 2011

Tool # 4 Moving Up To The Clouds

1.  Create at least one document in Google Docs and share it with a few others on your campus or within your department.  It could be a team member, a department colleague, or another teacher with whom you plan a collaboration.  Ask that person to comment or chat a real-time edit the document with you.

Create one form in Google Docs and send it via email to at least two other people and ask them to respond.
Briefly discuss how you can use the tools in Google Apps with your team or department.  How can you incorporate Google Apps as a tool in your classroom?  Which tools are you excited about using with students?
Well, this past year, I created a Google Docs to share with my class.  It was an American Hero Test.  I thought why not try something new and go "paperless".  The cool part of this was that it was quick and easy.  I didn't have to wait for the copier to be "free" or to have paper to run it.  The downfall was that it never dawned on me that my kids would access this at home and complete it there.  Once they discovered email, my world changed!  So, I became more aware of when I would share docs with them… sometimes waiting until 10 minutes before lab time or stations.  
Another document I shared was the criteria of our bird report.  This worked well but again, I had to make sure that the kids were only working on this at school.  So, I fibbed and told them that it date & time stamped the document and I'd know that if they did it at home, the grade wouldn't count!  They would have to redo it at school either before or after school.  That seemed to help!  I truly wish I could have better control of this.
Lastly, I used it as a way to motivate kids to try new technology at home.  I had the pleasure to sit in on a conference with Heidi Hayes Jacobs and learned about a very cool website called www.Zooburst.Com
So, I explained to my students that if they wanted some extra credit (for tickets not points), they could play around on this website and shared directions with them over Google Docs.  This helped me share access information - a subscription that I paid for so that my kids could create some super cool non-fiction pop up books with sound.  This, by the way, was a HIT!

5 comments:

Mrs. Timmreck's Kindergarten Class said...

Your blog is incredible! You are an inspiration to me!!!

Theresa said...

Thanks Lou! Text me if you need any help! :)

Mrs. Rincon said...

Theresa, thanks so much for all your patience with this online tools class...you have been a huge help! I really appreciate you giving up your precious free time to help me out!

Anonymous said...

TT- how did you share your google docs with your students? Did you have to type in all of their emails? I really want to do that for a lot of reasons... but saving paper is a big reason!!! By the way I changed my comments to this format... finally figured that out!

Theresa said...

@ CKohl - Joanna helped me export a list from Gradespeed or what ever that program is that we use... Maybe Skyward... IDK. so, they cannot email you until you at least email them at least one time and add you as a contact. It was cool.. Just make sure they save a copy before editing. Otherwise, they change the original and that can upset many!