Sunday, June 5, 2011

Tool # 2 Building Community in the Online Environment

1. Visit at least 5 blogs of fellow educators and comment to one of their posts.

http://iwonderbyluna.blogspot.com/2011/06/tool-2.html

http://alwayskeepingon.blogspot.com/2011/06/tool-1.html

http://keenlykleb.blogspot.com/2011/06/its-different-world.html

http://timmreckskclass.blogspot.com/  (Under the Humpty Dumpty Section)

http://brashers1stgrade.blogspot.com/2011/06/tool-3.html


2. After completing the above, share your thoughts about building and participating in an online community and participating in a PLN. What points stood out to you from the commenting advice?

Were you able to apply any of the advice in your comments?

How did you feel about sharing your thoughts publicly?

Sharing my thoughts has never been an issue. In fact, it is a strength of mine that sometimes gets me into trouble. Going public with my opinions felt odd at first. I was concerned about what others would say and scared that my ideas would not be good enough for the "whole world". I also worry about criticism as ideas are shared. I guess that is part of my personality too.

Was it different than when your'e sharing successes / challenges with your teammate?
I'm definitely more comfortable with the teammates (and those I have known for a while) because we have established "norms" and know each other on a personal level.

I can thank Facebook for helping me get over this anxiety… Now, I really concentrate on my "filters" and think to myself how others might perceive what I have posted. Another helpful tool is to create "folders" as to who can see the posts. It is realitvely easy to set that up and create safer environments!

3. Share the url or name of a website or social network that you plan to visit in the future. What does that site have to offer?
I and now branching my social life on Twitter. I have an account but that was only because I was curious about the the "tweets" with Arizona State University. They were supposed to "tweet" an Animoto movie that I had created that was part of a "Thank You" for their efforts in Vidyo Conferencing.

7 comments:

RCELibrarian said...

Welcome to the 11 Tools journey. I hope that you enjoy the trip through all of the tools you can use with your students. Sit back and enjoy the venture….you’ll be glad you did….you’ll find yourself trying more and more new things. Check my blog (http://msfrazzled.blogspot.com ) I will post some things that I find will help you through this journey. Check this weblink to see all of the teachers’ sites from RCE…we’ll build a great sharing team! I am so excited that we are doing this together. (https://sites.google.com/a/springbranchisd.com/11tools2011/home/rummel-creek-elementary)
Be sure to watch all of the videos and read the notes…they help a lot. You’ll love the common craft videos…they really bring it to a level that I can understand!
Although you are spending some time exploring these tools….have a restful enjoyable summer!

Theresa said...

Thanks Karen! I really appreciate how easily you help us integrate technology! I'm even more excited that everyone will have the same "experience"!

Anonymous said...

Theresa I like how you document all of your class research and projects that you do which in turnh helps others who are doin the same type of research.

Horned Frog SLP said...

I am glad that you are participating with us in the 11 tools. I think you are always a great help. I look foward to following you.

Theresa said...

Thanks Jennifer and Candice! I really enjoy using a blog. It was hard at first, but then it became easier. I find that it is a great way to scrapbook my year - more of a digital resume. Sometimes I forget what I did the year before, so using the blog helps to archive a lot! Let me know if you ever need help! I'll be glad to assist!

Mrs. Beck said...

Oh Theresa===I am going to learn a ton from your blog. You are amazing!! Thanks so much for your detailed posts and great information. I am just beginning and am finding it to be quite a journey.

Mrs. Beck said...

Think I just messed up already. If you get two posts from me, then yes indeed, I goofed. Thanks for your detailed blog!! It will help me tremendously. I am on tool #2 and already find it a tad bit difficult. I'll keep plugging away.