Thursday, June 9, 2011

Tool #8: Taking a Look at the Tools

… Learning about the classroom devices

1.  After watching the videos/tutorials, list two to three things you learned about the device(s) that will be in your classroom this fall.
First of all, I'd like to say that I'm a little, more like a whole lot, upset that PK - 2 have been predetermined to receive more iTouches instead of an iPad.  I have an ECH background and just because their hands are a lot smaller than that of a 3rd - 5th grader, does NOT mean that they can use the devices any better.  In fact, it is most likely, just the opposite.  Now, my other gripe is that those teachers who are ready to "move past" the iTouch should maybe be allowed to select an iPad on an interview / application process.  I personally feel that I could take learning to a whole different level (having the GT kids in my class) with the use of an iPad vs. an iTouch.  Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted to have these extra things in my class - I'm just really miffed that we can't even have at least one!
So, with that off my chest, I can now complete this tool!

iTouches:  Well, we have been using them now as a listening station during our Daily 5 stations so having more will just help out!  We won't have to use the "rockstar" as much.
I've also used them for mini workstations that are aligned with the curriculum.  I have even discovered how to download Animoto's and that can be used to fill in the gaps on learning, or to remember what was learned.

Dell 2120: There are a lot of capabilities with this.  The downfall is - we will not have access to Microsoft Office.  So that means, the kids are not going to be able to take a "Screenshot" and go into Powerpoint, Paste the Image, Crop & Save it as a .jpeg.  That was very beneficial for many different things.  Another downfall, we are entering the world of Google Docs.  So much of what teachers have already created has been using Word.  Now, we will need to start converting things over.  Maybe this is a way to "free up" our SAN server - who knows.


Pros: 

  • Can connect to the projector
  • Vents can stay cool
  • 3 USB Connector
  • Microphone / Speaker Connector
  • Network Connector
  • SD Camera Connector (I like this the best!)
  • Web Cam
  • Full Functioning Keyboard
  • Trackpad (a.k.a. Mouse)
  • Power Button
  • Indicator Lights (Number Lock, CAPS Lock, Display Mode)
  • WIFI Built In
  • Small enough for kids to work at their desk!
  • Product Key & Service Tag are located in the SAME spot!
2.  How do you plan to manage the device(s) in your classroom? Do you have ideas/suggestions that others may find useful?
I have an iPhone and an iTouch so I am not worried about managing this myself at all!  I've been using both of them in my classroom for this past year.  If you do let a child use your personal device, I would suggest that you turn on the "Airplane" mode so that they are not able to read or send texts, go on Facebook, or receive personal Emails.



No comments: