Thursday, June 11, 2009

Thing 6


What an AWESOME website! I love everything on here!!! I have used the Trading Card application to help children learn about the American Heroes in 2nd Grade; States; and Bird Reports. I also use the trading cards in my scrapbooking – it makes the page so interactive in a library pocket! I have also taught my children how to use the Magazine Cover as their writing collections from Spring Break. As long as I got 4 / 5 to use it successfully, I was able to have them peer teach and it worked wonderfully! Another thing I have used and liked a lot is the Pocket Picture Book. In teaching lifecycles, the children can take digital pictures of the butterfly (in our playground) and then upload it in sequence to show they understand the process. I have written a grant for technology this year. It incorporates the idea of memoirs, flip cameras, digital photography and scrapbooking. I'll be so excited if I get it!

5 comments:

Sally said...

Theresa, you have such great ideas! I'm a 2nd grade teacher, too. Do you mind if I use your American hero trading card idea? We've only used them for animals and birds. I like how you used magazine covers for your students' Spring Break writing. How did you get access to their Spring Break pictures?

Terry Ramirez said...

Theresa, I am so impressed with your ideas! Your students are so lucky to have an innovative teacher. Using magazine covers and trading cards is a very motivational way to encourage kids to research and write.

Theresa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Theresa said...

I messed up the first comment - but I guess that is to be expected!

Here is what I wanted to say: Thanks! You may use any idea I have! What good are teachers if you cannot share? We also used the trading cards for our american hero project and then last year, kids wrote about the lifecycle of any insect.

For the spring break pictures, I asked parents to either send them on a disk, or email them to me. The ones that brought in a hard copy, we scanned in.

wendy said...

I am not familiar with the Pocket Picture Book. (Was this a gadget I missed?) It sounds like a great way to use technology to illustrate life cycles. Besides the butterfly, we hatch praying mantises. I can use this for both!